State-run television in Ghana is announcing that President John Atta Mills has died at age 68.
Ghanaian television stations GTV and TV3 broke into regular programming Tuesday to announce the death of the president who was in his first term in office.
Chief of Staff John Henry Martey Newman addressed the nation on TV, saying Atta Mills died Tuesday afternoon at the 37th Military Hospital in Accra.
Newman gave no details about the cause of Atta Mills’ death.
The president celebrated his 68th birthday Saturday.
Atta Mills was elected in a 2008 runoff vote that was the closest in the country’s history. He was to run for a second term in December.
Incoming search terms:
- atta mills
- henry martey newman
- pictures of atta mills
- martey newman chief of staff
- chief of staff john henry martey newman
- john henry newman ghana
- The picture of atta mills
- Africa's disaster reduction seminar opens in Arusha ~ African News 14 Feb, at 19 : 35 PM
- Dlamini-Zuma to head African Union ~ African News, National 15 Jul, at 23 : 53 PM
- Joyce Banda sworn in as Malawi president ~ African News, National 7 Apr, at 13 : 53 PM
- Malema expelled from the ANC ~ African News, Breaking News, National 1 Mar, at 01 : 11 AM
- Mugabe: Villain or Hero? ~ National 4 Apr, at 01 : 30 AM