PRESIDENT Robert Mugabe met a delegation of American business people led by civil rights leader, Reverend Jesse Jackson on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly to discuss investment opportunities in Zimbabwe.
The business delegation told Zimbabwean journalists that it is looking at investment in the health, construction, tourism and the media and that it is visiting Zimbabwe next month.
Reverend Jackson said Zimbabwe’s political stability created a conductive investment climate and urged Zimbabweans to continue leading in many areas.
Zimbabwe has the highest literacy rate in Africa and it was the first African state to introduce reconciliation among former warring sides after independence.
The policy was replicated in South Africa, Namibia and other parts of the continent.
Before meeting President Mugabe in New York, Reverend Jesse Jackson had met Prime Minister, Morgan Tsvangirai twice in Chicago.
He would not reveal to the journalists the subject of his meeting with Tsvangirai.
Tsvangirai was, however, quoted as telling reporters after his meeting with the civil rights leader that Zimbabwe would slide into a scenario reminiscent of Ivory Coast if service chiefs failed to recognise any election winner other than President Robert Mugabe.
But Zanu-PF spokesperson Rugare Gumbo dismissed Tsvangirai’s sentiments.
“He doesn’t know what he is talking about. He is just talking to please his sponsors in the US. Elections will only come after proper mechanisms are put in place and we have been saying that as a party.”
Reverend Jackson however was not vocal on the issue of sanctions saying it is time to talk about them and not to fight them out.
Incoming search terms:
- jesse jackson
- Jesse Jackson Zimbabwe
- jessie jackson in zim
- Jessie Jackson Zimbabwe
- mugabe jackson
- jesse jackson on mugabe
- mugabe meets american delegates
- jesse jackson and robert mugabe
- mugabe meets jesse jackson in kenya
- Did mugabe snab Rev jesse jackson in kenya
- jessie jackson
- jessejacks in zimbabwe
- jesse jackson mugabe
- jesse jackson in zimbabwe
- President Mugabe meets Reverend Jackson
- Mugabe: Villain or Hero? ~ National 4 Apr, at 01 : 30 AM
- No role for Tsvangirai in by-elections: Judge ~ Breaking News, National 3 Apr, at 17 : 44 PM
- Gvt repossesses mining land from Zimplats ~ Business, National 29 Mar, at 18 : 30 PM
- Zimbabwe Constitution Bill gazetted ~ Breaking News, National 29 Mar, at 18 : 09 PM
- Credibility of political parties, candidates questioned ~ Breaking News, National 29 Mar, at 18 : 36 PM