Zimbabwe gold output rose 29 percent to 7.2 tonnes in the first six months of this year.
The rise generated $377 million in revenue, data from the mining chamber showed on Monday.
The southern African nation’s gold mining sector is recovering from an economic crisis that peaked in 2008 when hyperinflation reached 500 billion percent and forced most mines to shut.
Total gold production for 2011 was 13 tonnes. Output remains well below the 27 tonnes reached in 1999 before the decade-long economic slide.
Canada-listed New Dawn Mining and Caledonia Mining , as well as the London-listed Mwana Africa and South Africa’s Metallon Gold are among the gold producers in the country.
Incoming search terms:
- gold in africa
- gold mines in africa
- gold mining africa
- gold mining in Africa
- gold mines africa
- zimbabwe gold deposits
- Gvt repossesses mining land from Zimplats ~ Business, National 29 Mar, at 18 : 30 PM
- Year-on-year inflation declines to 2.51pc ~ Business 17 Feb, at 23 : 54 PM
- Air Zimbabwe on the mend ~ Business, National 17 Feb, at 23 : 35 PM
- Marange diamonds return to EU markets ~ Breaking News, Business 17 Feb, at 23 : 44 PM
- PPC investments safe, Government ~ Business, National 17 Feb, at 23 : 04 PM